It had been awhile since we had pizza right? Right?
I have a good back up excuse. It was because Andrew actually asked for pizza.
We were tidying up the living room to get ready for the new The Walking Dead episode, and I mentioned pizza. Now, I don’t remember why I mentioned it but I didn’t say it to suggest. But I can’t remember why I said it.
So, there is a slight possibility that I suggested it.
Well, it doesn’t matter because then Andrew was just like, “WERE YOU THINKING PIZZA TOO? BECAUSE I WAS THINKING PIZZA NIGHT TOO! RIGHT? PIZZA?” And I was like, okay, but I’ll make it because I have hot Italian sausages I need to use, ho ho!
I can’t take credit for this genius pairing, I found it while browsing for ideas with sausages. I had never made pizza dough so I just googled quick and easy and got an Allrecipe winner. It was easy and delicious but… it used an entire packet of yeast! My breads usually use up 1/4 of a teaspoon but yes, it rises overnight. Still! I ended up letting it rise for an hour anyway because it was too early to make pizza so the following weekend I used Budget Byte’s pizza dough recipe and it was equally delicious and easy. Well, it had more kneading but that was part of the fun :)
And for the winning sausage, red bell pepper, and pesto connection? That was thanks to Bev Cooks when I was trolling for ways to use up spinach but instead made herb pesto the day before and had sausages and bell peppers as well.
It’s sooooo good. It’s SOOOOO good! I definitely think my herb pesto plays a huge part in this because you’d get the chunks of almond and it becomes an even meatier bite with the sausages there. I don’t know how to explain it, you just have to try it! But don’t let that discourage you in using whatever pesto you have on hand!
I also used two hot Italian sausages that I got from Sprouts at their sale (Wooo! $2.99/lb) and those two sausages alone were a pound, to be honest. And also, that’s what she said.
Sausage, Red Bell Pepper, and Herb Pesto Pizza
Serves 4 (I made it a rectangle and into 16 slices!)
batch of pizza dough
hot Italian sausages (~1lb)
red bell pepper, sliced thin
1/2 onion, sliced thin
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove sausages from casing and brown in a skillet. Remove the sausage and put in a plate. Remove excess grease and saute the red bell peppers and half the onions in the same skillet until red bell peppers are slightly tender. (I didn’t know if raw onions would have been too strong so I did half saute, half not. It wasn’t overpowering for me but I love onions.)
- Stretch pizza dough on baking sheet and spread on the herb pesto, or whatever pesto you have.
- Sprinkle on sausages, red bell peppers strips, onion, and a light sprinkling of asiago cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until crust is to your crispness liking!
Best TV-Pizza night ever.
The episode of The Walking Dead was pretty good. They can’t deal with zombies forever. And what’s scarier than zombies? Other people trying to survive.
Glenn is our favorite character because besides being adorable, he’s the most normal, relatable guy on the show. Even though Shane is completely cray-cray, he is also super interesting so I hope they don’t kill him off too soon.