It is insanely hot in LA right now. I’m trying not to turn on the stove, but sometimes you buy a pound of crimini mushrooms and have no choice because they are going bad. I wanted to use them for stuffed artichoke, courtesy of Giada, but I couldn’t find any so I had to think of something else to make.
Ever since we’ve started using chicken to train Jimmy, our handsome black Labrador Retriever mix, I always end up with a light chicken broth after poaching his chicken. (PS he is not spoiled, he is just so bad at walking that we will bribe with anything – we are not above bribery)
So the new recipe can be…soup, yes? Soup in this heat? Yes. My scratchy throat was all for it.
The original recipe used coconut cream and arrowroot to make it “cream” of mushroom soup, but I did not have those things so I did not use them and it was delicious. This is also a Whole30 and Paleo friendly recipe!
Serves 4 | Recipe by Jay’s Baking Me Crazy
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 lb crimini mushrooms, sliced or diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups of homemade chicken broth
- 1 (16 oz) can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon rosemary or thyme
- In a pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic to soften slightly. Add sliced mushrooms and broth and simmer for 10 minutes. I added my rosemary at this point, since it was frozen in olive oil :)
- Using an immersion blender, or whatever blending device you have, blend to the desired consistency. I blended almost all of mine, but left some mushroom chunks for aesthetic reasons.
- Add the coconut milk and simmer for a few more minutes.
One serving is 212 calories. The saturated fat is high due to the coconut milk.