I love natto! I love natto mixed with green onions on top of steaming hot white rice and a bright yellow yolk in the middle with a dash of Maggi on top.
However, I have learned the hard way that not all natto is created equal. There are some natto brands, and even textures (whole bean versus cut), that I enjoy. The sauce packets included in these packages also play a huge part in the natto experience and I have started to lose track of the good and the bad.
With that in mind, I want to start a series of natto brand reviews. This is for you natto lovers!
…But mostly it’s for me.
KYUSHU ICHIBAN NATTO
- Sauce packet was thick and very sweet
- Beans were whole and big so lots of texture. Could feel the bean as I bit into it
- Not overwhelming in that natto flavor
- Whole beans as well
- Sweet sauce packet but not as overwhelmingly sweet as the other one. This one was saltier.
- Milder flavor. I want a more robust natto flavor than what this brand has to offer.